As you know, a lot is being done to encourage African writing. Well, we would like to promote these efforts in the best way we can. So, here it is; a flash fiction competition for upcoming African writers. First prize is £100 and the top 8 stories will be published.
- Deadlines: Entries close – 31st January, 2011. Winners announced – 4th April, 2011.
- Stories must be previously unpublished (and must not be available on any blogs or publicly accessible online repositories).
- Stories must be the sole work of the entrant.
- Stories must be 750 words or less.
- Entry is free.
- Only one submission can be made per entrant.
- Only online submissions are acceptable. Entries should be emailed to flashprize(at)african-writing.com as an attachment in the .doc or .rtf format with ‘Flash Contest’ in the subject line.
- The email must contain the entrant’s name, the title of story, and the entrant’s physical address and contact phone number.
- Please do NOT include your name on your story. Neither the story nor the name of the attachment should include a reference to the writer’s name.
- Simultaneous submissions are NOT acceptable.
- The first round of judging will be by African Writing’s editorial group, which will forward 30 long-listed stories to the competition judge.
- The judge will select a shortlist of 8 stories for publication and an overall winner of the £100 prize.
- The theme of the competition is open.
- There are no ethnic, racial or geographical restrictions on writers, but submissions must be in English.
- Licensing: copyright retained by all writers. Short-listed entries are exclusively licensed to African Writing magazine in all formats for 12 months from 4th April, 2011; The license becomes non-exclusive after 12 months.